Members of our team have been advising energy and utility companies and their contractors operating in England and Wales on street work related legal issues for more than 15 years. The New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (NRSWA) and Traffic Management Act 2004 (TMA) and associated legislation and Codes of Practice create a complex legal environment for energy and utility companies to negotiate as they undertake their essential work.
We regularly advise energy and utility companies and their contractors on issues such as:
- Challenging prolonged occupation (s.74) charges
- Diversionary works costs recovery
- s.50 licence issues
- Contesting authority charges and inspection fees
- Defending street works related criminal prosecutions
- Legal challenges to authority decision making processes
We also provide compliance training to businesses in the sector to assist them to avoid and/or mitigate the legal risks associated with street works.